Thursday, April 8, 2010

Book Review- A Century Turns: New Fears, New Hopes America: 1988-2008 by William Bennett

I was very interested in reading this and skeptical that I would even like it. I don't have much interest in politics and have never been able to keep history straight. It's definitely not my passion. I thought it would be neat to read more details about things that I could actually remember.
I truly feel like this book delivered that. I don't remember much of anything about the election of Bush Sr other than talking briefly about it when I was in Kindergarten. The fall of the Berlin Wall, Kuwait and Desert Storm, Rodney King were all people, events, and themes I recognized but never really could remember what time frame that they occurred in. It was nice to be able to identify how old I was when they happened and actually know where our country was when they happened.
This continues through all of the presidential elections and following presidencies. Specific events and issues involving the US, names of people that I recognize but never knew exactly who, where, or what they were. I really enjoyed the authors personal notes and memories that were included. It was like getting an inside peak of how things were from someone that lived, experienced and participated in what was happening. At times I worried that this book was going to be overly biased towards Republicans since the author was involved and worked in those administrations. I do have to say after finishing the book I feel like I got a good view of the whole story. Positives and negatives were expressed for all involved, and I felt like I was reading history as it happened and not just someone's opinion on what happened.
Overall I would recommend this book to others if they have any interest in the history of our country from 1988-2008. I haven't read William Bennett's other books America: The Last Best Hope Volume 1 or 2, but after reading this book I may consider it in the future. Initially I thought I would give this book away when I finished reading, but I think I may like to keep it on my book shelf.

As a member of BookSneeze.com I was given a free copy of this book with the agreement that I would read the entire book and give a personal review on my blog and another consumer website. I have not been paid or told what to say in this review. Other than to include a blurb such as this at the end of my review. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment